For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Tx length, 3a relapser

I have HCV only (not HIV). My genotype is 3a. My first treatment course was rebetron for 24 weeks. There was no detectable virus at 12 and 24 wks, but I relapsed after 3 months (viral load 130,000). I am currently using Pegasys-Copegus, in my 22nd week. There was no detectable virus after 12 weeks. Do you have recommendation for length of treatment? Thank you.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Without HIV there is no real guideline for longer treatment. However in our clinic, we would consider your biopsy (if it was 3 or 4) we might go longer, and your age ( over 40) longer still. There is no real data that I can quote on this, but we would treat for 9-12 months if you had any of those factors. Good luck! DTD

PLEASE, answer !!!!!