HIV + and HCV+ 56 yr old female

My mom was diagnosed w/Hep C last Aug. She has now been diagnosed w/HIV. From what we can tell, she got both from a hip transplant she had back in the early 80's. She has not received a test to see if she has full blown HIV. Since she has probably had this disease for about 20 years, what are the chances that she may have full blown HIV? Will she be able to be treated for Hep C and HIV at the same time? She keeps loosing weight (now weighs 93 lbs).

Thank you in advance for your assistance. Also, can you direct me to a website where I can get help in learning how to deal w/these emotions. I'm going nuts knowing my mom now has HIV and can't tell her because I know how she's going to take it. I need all the support I can get. Thanks!

Daughter full of emotions and confusion in SC.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

I think for yourself, you need more than a website, you need professional counselling. Go get it. Yes it is possible to treat HCV and HIV at the same time. You need to make sure your Mom is getting treated by someone who knows how to do that. Usually we don't start both treatments at the same time, but a few months apart. Good luck to you both! DTD

When to stop the treatment
PLEASE, answer !!!!!