When to stop the treatment

Hi Doc, I'm on treatment with hepsera since Sep.2002. I'm precore mutant when dx in April of 2002 and have had hep. b since my childhood and i'm asian male 42 years old. Currently as of January of 2004 i'm surface antigen postive, surface antibody positive, e antigen negative and e antibody positve hbv dna undetectable less than 100 copies. My question is, when should i stop the treatment or should i stay on it for indefinately? Thanks for your quick response. Jay

Response from Dr. Dieterich

It depends on where you started. If you were e antigen + when you started, then usually a year or 3-6 months after you converted from e + to e negative and e antibody +. If you were e negative, as you said, the precore mutant, then there is really no way to determine how long. Most people treat for at least 2 years maybe indefinitely. Good luck! DTD

Please help. I've been trying to get your answer
HIV + and HCV+ 56 yr old female