SECOND try -- Re-treament +length??

Dear Doctor Dietrich,

Thanks a bunch for your follow-up, guidance and support you have provided.

To recap, my father who is 58 yrs old now has finished his peg intron and rebetol for a yr without achieving an undetecable VL. his VL was about 57K. (he was undetectable within the first 3 mons, but disconntiuned at 6 mons; restarted again due to high VL but by the end of the yr, he was never undetectable, Feb 2002)

He took a 6 mons break and during those 6 mons, his VL jumped to 300,000. In september 2003, He started PegSys and Rebetol and within the first 3 mons, all his liver enzymes are in normal and iam assuming his VL is undetecable. My question to you is, how long should he take the PegSys combo? In sept, it would be a yr. Do you recommend a yr or as i read in your previous answers, perhaps 18 mons? His geneotype is 4. If after a yr or so, he is undetectable, what is his options??

Thanks you so much doctor.

Best regards, nyc...

Response from Dr. Dieterich

I would recommend that he be treated for about a year after his first undectable HCV viral load. So at least 15 months, maybe 18. That is our standard. Good luck and good follow up! DTD

LAB results and doctor in San Jose, California
liver biopsey