Pregnant and Hepatitis C+

My husband and I are looking to adopt and we are in touch with a birth mother who has tested negative to HIV and positive to Hepatitis C. Will Hepatitis C be pass on to the baby?

Response from Dr. Dieterich

There is about a 5-7% chance of passing HCV on to the baby. There might be a slightly lower risk, about 2-3% if the baby is delivered by elective C section, but most people don't recommend planning a C section just for that risk. An emergency C section actually has a higher risk. Good luck! DTD

Increased risk of HIV Transsmision to those with HEP C ?
HbeAg and HbsAg for six years and ALT is within normal limit.