The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What is PCR ? - Hep B+C ?
Mar 16, 2001

A) What is PCR test ? B) I had a blood test for Hep.B+C , six weeks after possible high risk oral encounter. Do you think the result will be conclusive or should I repeat it? If the results come now negative, should I get vaccinated for A+B now, or wait another 6 months?

Thank you in advance for your precious time and assistance.

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

1.PCR is a laboratory method to detect live virus in your blood. It stands for reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR).This method involves extracting RNA (genetic material) from the blood serum.As you can see it is a sophisticated procedure and can be done only at some laboratories.It is reported as negative or positive and is very sensitive . It also can report a number of viral particles per cc of blood ,as low as, 100 copies. Recently the test was standarized and is now reported as international units. 2. Hepatitis C antibody seroconversion can occur between 3 and up to 12 months after infection.You should have tests after 3 months.HCV PCR will be positive earlier after infection. Do not wait for vaccine for hepatitis B unless you are a 100% you will not be exposed to the virus in the next 6 months.Hepatitis A is not sexually trasmitted but via oral route ,you should have vaccine if you are traveling to an endemic zone (where disease is more frequent like ASIA OR TROPICS).

HIV /syphilis
Hep B - vaccine & antibody levels

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint