Liver Biopsy and stages of Hep C

Can a doctor know what condition the liver is in with out a liver biopsy? I had a doctor tell me quite rudely that my Mother in Law did not have cirrhosis or end stage Hep C She had Chronic Acute Hep C. He has not done a liver biopsy at this time. He also is not a liver specialist he mainly treats HIV and told my Mother in law he would have to read up on her illness and treatment. Should we seek another doctor? She also has vasculitus(sp) he said he had never seen it this bad in anyone it is all over he body and some of the places are the size of a half dollar and it has ulcerated. If it is this bad is that a indication of a more advanced Hep C? I hope you can help me. Thank you for your time. SL

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Vasculitis can be a result of HCV and treating the HCV can certainly help if that is the cause. By physical exam, a doctor can tell if someone has decompensated cirrhosis or not, but not much else. Sounds like you need a new doctor to treat the HCV. Good luck! DTD

Hepatitis and central obesity
Lesbian Sex