Liver transplant & HIV + but do not have Hep

I am 36 y.o.HIV + Male w/ rising liver enzymes. I do not have hep a,b or c. I had an allergic reaction to a study drug in 1999 and now my liver is failing. What is the success rate for HIV + people & liver transplants.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Good question! The one year survival for HIV+ liver transplants is about 88%, which is just as good as for HIV negative patients. The 2 and 3 year numbers start to drop off some, but that is probably because people are not treating the hepatitis in those patients. If you need a liver, you have a very good chance! Good luck! DTD

Hi Dr. Dieterich
Dr. Dieterich