HIV & Liver Transplant

I've been HIV+ for 18 years and have Hep B for 6 years. Both have been under control but about a year ago the Hep B flared up. My hepatologist recomended I get on list for Liver Transplant. My Health Insurance oked initial testing at UPMC(who do Transplant in Hiv+ people) and even asigned me a case worker. They have regected my request because "Liver transplant is considered investigational for HIV positive individuals per Capital Blue Cross Policy" Can they do this or is it discrimination under ADA?

Thanks for your help.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

No they can't do this and transplant has been done at Pitt for HIV HBV postive people namely Larry Kramer! You hire a lawyer and go after the insurance company! I am not a big fan of settling things in court, but you are right that is discrimination. There is a big 16 center NIH trial of HIV+ liver transplants and kidney transplants, but they are treated just like everyone else. I don't think it is experimental. They are just trying to get out of it. In fact, transplants for HIV HBV do even better than HIV HCV! Good luck and go get em! DTD

what is the current tx for relapsing HepC
good nurse?