Using Interferon and Ribavarin as broad based anti virals

Dr. Dieterich,

My ID doctor and Internist agree that I have a severe viral syndrome, but cannot diagnose precisely what it is.

What do you think of using Interferon and Ribavarin together as broad based anti viral agents to try and knock this virus out? I know there are side effects to both, but what do you think of this as a possible strategy, assuming there is (as seems to be the case) a chronic viral infection?

I would really value your opinion on this.

Many thanks,

Regards.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

That is a tough one. It is hard to imagine that you are that ill that you would consider interferon and ribavirin. However if you are, you should consider up front how long you will take them. They are indeed broad spectrum antivirals, but of course the side effects are difficult. Good luck! DTD

HELP!! how long can you have hepatitis.....
I need your advice, Dr. D!! Please answer.