Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Contemplating Treatment for Hep C but Afraid.
Nov 18, 2003

I am the sole provider in my house. I would love to get treated for my 30 year old Hep C but i am frightened of all the side effects i read about.

I am GenoType 2b and am still working but dont have as much energy these days. Maybe its just my age(53) im not sure anymore but I would love to get rid of this virus.Im not sure my medical will cover it and im afraid to let them know i have Hep C for fear of i dont know what.HELP!!!!!!!!!Thank You in advance. Michael

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear Michael,

Don't be afraid! First of all your insurance company does cover treatment. Second they cannot drop you for having an illness! Next if you are tired you could actually feel better on the interferon! It is very possible to keep working, most of my patients do. Particularly with the pegylated interferons. You can take it on Friday night, relax over the weekend and then be back to work on Monday. It is still not exactly a walk in the park, but you can do it! Your genotype is very favorable and if you get through your 6 months of treatment, then you have over 80% chance of a cure! I would be happy to see you myself! Call 212 241 7270 and make an appointment! Hope to see you soon! DTD

Previous
Please Answer my question!!
Next
HELP!! how long can you have hepatitis.....

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.