Contemplating Treatment for Hep C but Afraid.

I am the sole provider in my house. I would love to get treated for my 30 year old Hep C but i am frightened of all the side effects i read about.

I am GenoType 2b and am still working but dont have as much energy these days. Maybe its just my age(53) im not sure anymore but I would love to get rid of this virus.Im not sure my medical will cover it and im afraid to let them know i have Hep C for fear of i dont know what.HELP!!!!!!!!!Thank You in advance. Michael

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear Michael,

Don't be afraid! First of all your insurance company does cover treatment. Second they cannot drop you for having an illness! Next if you are tired you could actually feel better on the interferon! It is very possible to keep working, most of my patients do. Particularly with the pegylated interferons. You can take it on Friday night, relax over the weekend and then be back to work on Monday. It is still not exactly a walk in the park, but you can do it! Your genotype is very favorable and if you get through your 6 months of treatment, then you have over 80% chance of a cure! I would be happy to see you myself! Call 212 241 7270 and make an appointment! Hope to see you soon! DTD

Please Answer my question!!
HELP!! how long can you have hepatitis.....