For all 17 year olds

Hi, my girlfriend has Hepititas C from her mother since birth. Now that she is a senior in high school and everyone drinks alchohol on the weekends she is conserned. Her last test results were like 50,000 of the active virus and since she drank every weekend she thinks it jumped from just that. Is that true? Her test that she just got back had like 72,000 of the active virus. Is a very high count where we should take very very serious. She is also on birth control pills and I think it jumped higher because she has taken the pills for like 2 years. She will drink but not that much. What ways are you able to lower the count. Please respond ASAP and Thank You Very Much.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

It sounds like your girlfriend is at least seeing a doctor and that is good. With a low viral load like that she is also likely to be cured easily if she gets treated. The birth control pills are fine, the alcohol is not fine. An occiasonal drink is not a problem but teenage drinking is not a good idea anyway. What she really needs is to have a liver biopsy and then to consider getting treatment for her HCV so she can be cured! Be good to her! DTD

I don't feel like doing more interferon therapy
worried and pregnant comment