Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Losing Control
Nov 3, 2003

I recently went into a depression level that at times reached suicidal. It lasted for about 3 months but is getting better. During that time I did everything I could think of to kill my liver. Taking High amounts of valium, xanax and hydrocodone, cocain and drinking. My ALT usually runs in the upper 80's AST in the 39-41. The last test showed ALT 47 & AST 23. Why would they go down and not up? I see my plan isn't working and now I am hooked on drugs on a regular basis again in my life.

Thanks

Response from Dr. Dieterich

I assume that you have HCV as well. Alcohol has a tendency to lower liver enzymes temporarily while you are drinking heavily only to cause large elevations when you stop for a short time. Those fluctuations really don't mean anything. You need help! Get yourself into a rehab facility ASAP! It is not easy but with psychiatric help and drug rehab, you can get in control of your own life again. After you are clean and sober for a while, then we can talk about treating your HCV. Good luck, get help! DTD

Previous
Which is "REALLY" the best treatment?
Next
RIBA results

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.