For God's Sake Please Answer HCV PCR Question

Dear Dr. Douglas Dieterich,

I notice on the web site that you have been answering questions posted after my resquests. I have made several email requests yet with no response from you. I am really sorry for bothering you but i am really finding it very difficult to mentally come to terms with the issue of as to whether you can get hcv virus if you cut your skin in a swimming pool and most importantly, whether pcr qualitative tests at 3 weeks, 6 weeks and 7.5 weeks along with negative antibody tests are conclusive that i did not get the virus.

I hope that this time you won't ignore me. Please do take a minute to answer the question. I have read in one of your responses that if pcr is negative 7 weeks out, you are home free...is that true for qualitative pcr and can i really let go of the fear of catching hcv of the pcr is negative at 7 1/2 weeks out and antibody is negative. the only risk was getting cut while swimming and pool water coming in touch with the bleeding cut.

Thank You soooo Much sir,

Anxiously awaiting your reply,

Salim

Response from Dr. Dieterich

If your PCR is negative at 7 weeks you are home free, no matter if it is qual or quant. The "risk" that you describe is not even a risk. Forget it and enjoy life. I get many more questions than I can possible answer and choose the ones that either have not been answered before, or are applicable to the most people. You should have been able to glean this information from the old questions. DTD

EASY ?
nurse