HIV /syphilis

I was recently confirmed for HIV. I also told them that I had Syphilis, which I was treated for. They had already performed a Syphilis test that was negative. I didn't think it was possible to be negative if you had tested positive, even after treatment. Could I have been miss diagnosed the first time?

Response from Dr. Boyle

You'll need to find out what specific syphilis test your doctor is referring to. There are 2 tests that evaluate syphilis, the VDRL and the FTA-ABS. The VDRL will become negative with effective treatment but the FTA generally remains positive for life. I suspect that that is the source of the confusion. BB

Hep. B+C testing in Greece.
What is PCR ? - Hep B+C ?