For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Hepatitis antibodies in semen

My boyfriend just found out that he has antibodies to Hepatitis (B, I think). Are such antibodies infective through unprotected sexual intercourse?

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Antibodies are not infectious, but can be a sign of infectivity. If he has had hepatitis B in the past he will have antibodies as evidence of infection. If he still has HBV he may also have some antibodies and yes HBV is a sexually transmitted disease. You need to find out if he actually has the disease or just the antibodies. In any case you should get the Hepatitis B vaccine series ASAP! Good luck. DTD

Dr. Alcohol
Re: risk at gyno office