Dr. Alcohol

Hi Dr.

I am now back to drinking 1 (one) bottle of fine red wine per night. Two years ago I decided to be a member of a wine group when I visited Italy and let me say it was well worth it. The drink really is elixer for the mind and body. I awake with no hangovers and have a job as a researcher. Aside from the HUGE mistake of sleeping with an undergrad who gave me a viral illness my life has been good.

I received a HEP vax last week and then red about new strains of the virus. Do I need a broader protective vax and does alcohol effect how my liver responds to a potential infection?

Leo

Response from Dr. Dieterich

That is clearly too much wine to recommend to anyone. Yes that amount may negatively affect the antibody response. There is no other vaccine. However you should check your antibody response to the vaccine and your liver enzymes and practice safe sex! DTD

are you sure hcv cannot be passed this way
Hepatitis antibodies in semen