Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PLz Answer Urgent
Sep 29, 2003

I recently did a check at a LAB(LAB A) for HCV antibodies in preperation for travel. It came with a result Weak Positive on HCV antibodies. I re-did the Test in Two other Labs (LAB B and LAB C)and the result was negative. After returning to the initial Lab ( LAB A) for a retest it still came back Weak Positive. What could be the reason for this discrepancy? I am diabetic type 2 medication ( Avandia - Glucophage). For Travel I must get a negative result from LAB A and the country of travel does not acknowledge the PCR or RIBA test. Can you please help me in solving this urging issue. P.S. I have negative PCR results

Response from Dr. Dieterich

There are many cases of false positive HCV tests. You need to get a letter from your MD stating that the PCR and RIBA are negative. If you dont have the virus, you don't have the virus! What is wrong with those people? DTD

Previous
When to start treatment for Hepatitis C?
Next
Risk at gyno's office

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.