try pegasys now?

Dr. Dietrich,

I am a 42 yr old male who was diagnosed with hep c about 5 yrs ago. i had a series of blood transfusions with a surgery 25 yrs ago at age 17. my hepatologist put me on 6 months of rebetron and only checked my ast/alt levels (not viral load) during treatment. the enzymes dropped but as soon as i stopped treatment shot back up. i recently discovered i have genotype 2b. my post treatment biopsy showed stage 2/4. i have also recently undergone phlebotomies for high iron, ferritin levels. i am an attorney and battle fatigue constantly. do you think i should try pegasys with better monitoring this go round? should i get my iron levels as low as possible before treatment.? thanks.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

You certainly should try pegasys! With a genotype 2 you should be a slam dunk for a cure! Also, you can take it on a Friday and take it easy on the weekend and be reasonably ready for work on Monday. The ferritin does not matter all that much, but it helps if it is lower. Go for it! Good luck! By the way we usually check HCV RNA monthly on our patients. It really helps both of us psychologically to get thru the therapy. DTD

Thank You So Much; Follow Up Question
When to start treatment for Hepatitis C?