For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Dear Dr. Alcohol

Dear Dr.

I drink wine every night. It is my understanding the liver is liver resilient and moreover that alcohol may protect my brain from dementia when I am an old geezer. I am 28 and will be a teacher within the science dept. of a school soon. Do you think it is wise of me to drink a 1/2-1 bottle of fine red wine every night? THank you.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Alcohol in moderation is actually good for you, as you suggest. However to excess can be very dangerous. The usual amounts that seem safe and healthy are about 1 glass of wine per day for women and 1 glasses for men. I think you are a little over that limit! Cut down some and you should be fine! DTD

Co-infected Injection Drug User...Drug Toxicity and Liver Care
Thank You So Much; Follow Up Question