HELP my children may have been exsposed by house guest!

My nephu and his girlfriend have been in and out of my home for the past month or so sometimes just a day and others 3-4 days anyway, I found out that they both are needle drug users and I made the leave my home for the safety of my children this was Wednesday Sept 10, on Friday Sept 12, I recieve a call from my frantic sister who tells me she found out that they both have Hep C and they are aware of it. I have already made appointments for myself, my children 4 & 10 and my husband I have done alot of research today and I'm very concerned about my children because my nephu & his girlfriend shared the same bathroom. I'm extreamly paranoid because I packed up all thier belongings that night and their toothbrush was lying on the counter of my kids bathroom It is a huge possibility that my youngest son used thier toothbrush not knowing any better How worried should I be and could this kill my baby he's only 4 years old? Please respond as soon as possible because our appointment isn't until Wed the 17th. Thank you for your time, Guilt felt Mother. :(

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Household contact is not really a risk for exposure. Knowing how most 4 year olds brush their teeth, I don't think there is any worry at all. Most married couples don't ever transmit the virus to each other sexually, so having houseguests is not really a risk. Go get tested, and ask for vaccines for hepatitis A and B, but do not lose any more sleep over this! DTD

HCV treatment
Frantic with worry that I could loose my job over hep b scare