HBV Question for the Good Dr.

Hi Dr.,

I am wondering two things: 1. If I contracted HEP B from a girl who decided to tattoo herself and acquired the virus, could I possibly clear the virus on my own, with my own immune system or will I NEED treatment? 2. Please give me info on the Acute stage of HEP, and if drinking wine like I do every night can exacerbate all cases of HEP. Thank you sir, I am nervous after sudden illness brought on two days after having sex with one of my underclassmen (she is a student, I am a TA) it appeared as high fever and vomiting. I'm only 27 and too young for illness and too old to be making dumb choices like sex without rubber.My internist said it was a cold but no mucus or residual respiratory ailments make me nervous...I look foward to hearing of new data presented next month. Indeed, progress is beignn made on all fronts of virology. Thank you for your time Sir.

Best,

Leo

Response from Dr. Dieterich

First it is important to realize that most Hepatitis B is preventable by getting the vaccine. GET VACCINATED! Second, most (85%) of people who get HBV get better on their own! Third, drinking wine every night will certainly not help your liver any! Finally, you should always be using a condom and you should not be having sex with your students either! DTD

Infant HCV Diagnosis
Staying Healthy..Please answer!