from a nurse.....

Dr.Dieterich, Last nite I was with a friend who asked me to look at a rash on her back...there were several areas of fresh scab formation and I did touch them. Then she informs me that she is Hepc + My question is I do not think I had fresh blood on my fingers and I wiped them off on my shorts anyway but on the way home I had my finger in my eye clearing something out...what is my potential risk if there was undetectable blood on my finger even though I wiped it off? I am thinking low to no risk but am wondering if I should be tested next month during my annual. thanks

Response from Dr. Dieterich

If you are a nurse, you should get tested annually anyway. What you describe is basically a non-risk behavior. When you get tested, I would usually check your hepatitis A, B and C antibodies and vaccinate you for A and B if you are negative. Stay well! DTD

hepatitis C through sex? part 2
HIV HCV