Could you help with my test results please?

Hi Dr. Dieterich,

I was wondering if you could help analyze my lab results from Hepatitis testing.

I recently was tested for some STDs...hepatitis A,B and C amongst them. I called the clinic to get the results and they said "all tests for Hepatitis were negative." So I asked for a copy of the results by mail for my own records and then decided to go get vaccinated for HepB.

However I got the results in the mail and these were the HepB results:

HepB Surface Ag.....Negative HepB Core Ab, Tot...Negative HepB Surface Ab..16.3 H mIU/ml

Now from my layman's understanding I have anitbodies for Hepatitis B....right? I had this bloodwork done before I got the first vaccination shot and have never been vaccinated before.

Now, if I did in fact have Hepatitis B at one point and now have antibodies do I still need to complete the series of shots for the vaccine? And, if I did have HepB previously should I see a doctor about having a liver biopsy??

Thanks for the help!

Doug

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Sounds like you had a case of HBV that you beat. Although without the core antibody, I would not be so sure. Therefore I would certainly finish up the Hep B vaccine series that you started. It could not hurt and it may help! Stay safe! DTD

Treat or not with Major Depression
hepatitis C through sex? part 2