Duration of acute infection

Dr. Dieterich, How long after initial exposure do you consider an infection to continue to be acute? The reason I ask is that you say treatment is successful for acute infection. Should one wait got get antibody testing after 90 days, or get PCR earlier for better success in treating a potentially acute infection?

Response from Dr. Dieterich

In cases of acute HCV, I usually recommend getting a qualitative PCR at 2,4 and 6 weeks after exposure. If any are positive, then I repeat it to make sure. Only then do we offer therapy. The antibody test should be positive by 90 days and actually, the so called acute phase may last until 180 days. Good luck! DTD

Clearing Hep C ? HIV/HCV infection
Sir , just one followup question