Aug 26, 2003
Dear Doctor Dieterich:
If someone already has HIV, but is unaware of their status, then a year later contracts HCV, could the newly acquired HCV affect an HIV test, if now taken?
I know that "sometimes" co-infection can cause a delay on the HIV tests, but I assume that's when both viruses are acquired at or near the same time...obviously, the above question is a different scenario.
Thank you so much for your time and consideration.
Response from Dr. Dieterich
No, I don't believe that HIV testing can be influenced by HCV. On the other hand people may test falsely negative for HCV if they have HIV. The only way to be certain with both viruses is to do the PCR or bDNA tests. Stay safe! DTD
Clearing Hep C ? HIV/HCV infection
- Itchy Rash After Vaginal Sex Without Condom What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Swollen Lymph Nodes After Unprotected Sex Without Ejaculation Worried I Have HIV
- Vomiting After Open Mouth Kissing Worried I Have HIV
- Female Condom To Prevent Bleeding During Sex
- Breast Feeding With HIV Effects On Baby
- Can I Drink Alcohol With Combivir And Viramune?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.