Dr. Dieterich

My husband has two weeks to go on the peg-intron. He is still undetectable from early on. I'd like to know if he doesn't have a sustained response to treatment, how long do they wait before he goes on treatment again? Also, could the second time around work if the first didn't? And did the peg-intron help in any way even though there isn't a sustained response? He is also HIV positive. Would this affect the response rate? I know I have alot of questions, but I just need to gather as much information as possible. I hope you understand. Thank you so much for your help.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

All good questions! The sustained response or cure rate is lower in HIV+ persons but still exists and is substantial, so be optimistic! However if your husband does relapse, the response rate is comparable to the first time he was treated. Relapsers have a much better chance of responding than do people who never became undectable in the first place.

If he does go for re treatment, I usually wait for 3-6 months before starting again both to give his body and mind a rest and to let the virus grow back and expose itself to the CD4 cells again.

Wish him luck! It sounds good! DTD

Reading Hepatitis test results
Later Co-infection