Difficult treatment of Hepatitis C

Hello Dr Dieterich. Im a nurse in Sweden, or rather have been a nurse, who got Hepatitis c in my work, my doctor believes it was many years ago. I have been treated with monotherapy interferon and combination with peg-interferon and ribavirin. Now I am on therapy with Pegasys - Ribavarin. I have virus type 1 a and I know its hard to treat. Before my first therapy my virus load was 18 mil copys/ml and the last one was 13.000 copys/ml after 3 month on the treatment I get right now. After 6 month virus still was detected but they didnt check for quantity then. My doctor says he dont think the treatment will work, the virus shoud not have been detected after 6 month at all if the treatment had worked. I wanted to continue anyway because I think type 1 a needs more time. What do you think of my chanses? Please tell, I have no problem to take it if you say the same as my doctor did. In that case, do you know of some new treatments coming? I hope there are now problem for me to ask even if I live out of the USA. I have asked the question before but didnt get any answer but I understand you have many questions. Thank you for taking you time with this!/Anki in Sweden

Response from Dr. Dieterich

If your HCV viral load is not negative after 6 months, then it is unlikely that this time you will respond. However, I might recommend that you ask your MD to get you a quantitative HCV RNA if it is negative, then I would continue for another 12 months. If it is positive, then I would stop for a while. You can be retreated in 3-6 months with the same combination with a reasonably good chance. There are also new drugs coming, but not for several years at least. Good luck! DTD

Hi Dr. Dieterich
Reading Hepatitis test results