Are changes in liver fibrosis related to changes in dermal scarring?

After around six months on tx, I suddenly experienced severe itching in the crook of both arms and noticed that the skin directly above my veins was both discoloured and irregular. These bumps appeared to be both in the veins underneath, as well as in the skin itself.

Normally, my veins are very difficult to see and it is a challenge for med staff to draw my blood or to start an IV. After this initial inflammation the problem spontaneously subsided, but then re-emerged a couple of weeks later and has snce remained. My doctor and the nurse who draws my blood had no explanation to offer.

Last week, I ended tx a bit prematurely after 45 injections. The hypertrophic scarring is now very evident in all the places I have ever had a needle inserted, including in a few places that have only been used once or twice. I've heard of other people commenting about changes in old scar tissue, but have been unable to find any articles explaining this.

Since IFN reportedly reverses fibrosis, I'm curious as to how this relates to what I am currently experiencing. My understanding is that hypertrophic scarring occurs from the deposition of collagen. Has anyone studied what actually happens to the liver and whether this surface scarring relates to it?

BTW, I am (was?) 1a and was undetectable at week 10 of tx. This condition is not due to weight loss during tx, since it occurred after I had already regained some of the pounds initially lost.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

You may have some scarring from ribavirin rash. This should gradually go away after several months. It has nothing to do with fibrosis in the liver. Your liver should be much better if not completely better by now! Good luck! DTD

positive hep c antigen on blood transfusion screening
It may SEEM silly, but it's really NOT!