Aug 11, 2003
Dr. Dieterich, I believe I may have been stuck by a needle on the street (in the arm). I have a hole in my shirt, etc. How likely is it to contract HIV from such a one-time incident? What is the treatment? I will soon have a Western Blot test. How accurate is it?
Response from Dr. Dieterich
I would also check for HBV and HCV. And if you are not vaccinated for HBV and HAV, then I would go ahead with that while you are thinking about it. That is a low risk exposure, but you are correct to follow up on it! Good luck! DTD
- What Is The Best Genital Wart Cream?
- What Is A Over The Counter Genital Wart Remover?
- What Does A Positive Herpes Blood Test Mean?
- What Causes Recurrent Bacterial Vaginosis Infections?
- What Can Be Done To Rid The Pain Of Nerve Damage From Shingles?
- What Is The Quickest Way To Get Rid Of Genital Warts?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.