Any hope

I have HCV 1A, was on Alpha interferon and rebetrol for 9 mths took me off because count went back up. Have been off for almost a year and recent Alt came back fine. Still HCV detectable was told I would not respond to interferon based treatment. Any suggestions or is there anything new that might help. Thanks...your column is great.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Actually that is not true. If you responded and relapsed, your chances are quite good of responding around 40%. Even if you never responded at all, treatment with Peg and RBV will have about an 11% chance of a cure! If your biopsy requires it, then you should go ahead. Good luck! DTD

Dr. Dieterich please answer; you have knowledge in this area
ACCIDENTAL NEEDLESTUCK