Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dr. Dieterich please answer; you have knowledge in this area
Aug 11, 2003

Please help. While out with my wife one evening I was attacked by a mugger who looked like a drug user. To make a long story shorter, I bit the attacker to avoid being choked. I got a lot of blood in my mouth. I got a sore throat two days later and a doctor gave me a penicillin injection for laryngitis. I am in fear of the possibility of having contracted HIV. Since then I took five combo tests. The tests consist of both a PCR test and an Elisa test on the same blood draw. The tests were performed at two weeks, four weeks, six weeks, seven weeks and nine weeks after exposure. The PCR DNA QUALITATIVE tests are manufactured by Roche and are supposed to detect as little as ten copies per ml. All results were negative. The first two combo tests were done by LabCorp and the last three combo tests were done by Healthline in Burbank CA. The labs informed me that the tests are extremely sensitive and that my results should be considered conclusive, expecially since I took five PCR DNA qualitative tests and each was combined with an Elisa. Both labs also mentioned that the PCR tests present more of a danger of false positives rather than false negatives, and they are supposed to be conclusive after 28 days. I figured that by repeating the tests, I have minimized the possibility of innaccuracy. I have learned that in rare cases the HIV virus can be undetectable in HIV infected people even without any meds. But in these rare cases, wouldn't these people have had to produce detectable antibodies in order for their bodies to have controlled the virus. So in my case, if I were one of these people who is infected but has an undetectable level of virus because perhaps my body was able to control it, wouldn't I have a detectable amount of antibodies that would show up on an Elisa test? Or is it possible for a person to control the virus down to an undetectable level without the presence of a detectable amount of antibodies? From what I've read, the antibodies are a result of immune response and they would have to be present in sufficient numbers in a person whose body is controlling the virus down to an undetectable level. I also read that the virus takes only a few days to replicate to large numbers. Please help me. My wife and I are terrified. I do plan to retest with the Elisa at the three month window period, but in the meantime I am consumed with fear. Thank you for having this forum!

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Not a hepatitis question. However you have had more HIV tests than most people would have in a lifetime. You are fine! Stay well and forget this bad dream! DTD

Previous
frequency of liver biopsy
Next
Any hope

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.