frequency of liver biopsy

I had a liver biopsy last year that indicated mild HEPC condition. Treatment has yet to be started as here in BC pegylated interferon is not yet available and my doctor advises that this is the best treatment at this time.

I have not started HAART, and CD4's have been stable for 2 years at about 250.

Question: How often does one need to have a liver biopsy to determine the state of damage?

Thanks

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Usually we biopsy about every 3-5 years. The rate of progression is about 7 years per stage of fibrosis. So about half way through one grade is 3.5 years. In general, we might do it a little faster in HIV patients since HCV progresses more rapidly. So in HIV we might recommend it every 2 years. What about treating the HIV? 250 CD4 would usually demand treatment! Good luck! DTD

Managing Director
Dr. Dieterich please answer; you have knowledge in this area