For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

long term effects of chronic hepatitis b

I'm 17, and i have chronic hepatitis b. I've been told that theree's a chance of liver cancer when i get older. What are the chances of this and around when will it happen if it does?

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

Yes, patients with chronic hep B have an increased risk to develop liver cancer.The risk is higher after the patient progresses to cirrhosis of the liver.You can prevent this risk by having treatment to erradicate the hep.B virus from your liver.Please go to your Dr. for appropiate treatment.

aids and hep. transmission
dirty needle