For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Lamivudine for HBV

Hi Doc, My great doc described Lamivudine for my HBV. I wonder why so because this drug is primarily for HIV. I would have thought from what I have seen in this forum that Interferon was better for me. Any reasoning?

Bianda, Seattle

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

Lamiduvine is effective against HBV in around 50% of the cases.We use a combination of lamiduvine for six months followed by interferon therapy in an effort to reduce relapses that frequently occur after HBV treatment. Your right, lamiduvine also is commonly used as part of the HAART (highly active antiretroviral treatment) in HIV.

hiv/first signs