Cirrhosis because of HCV and HIV

I have HIV and HEP B, and C. My first Doctor did not know what the spots on my arms were (Liver spots) The HCV progressed and I am now infected with Cirrosis of the liver. I am in a lot of pain. The doctors do not know what to do at this point. They mentioned a transplant. Would there be any other options at this point? They said interferon is out of the question because it is not FDA approved for cirrhosis. I look as though I am 9 months pregnent and am extremmly uncomfortable. Besides that the HIV is fine, no problems there, I am a healthy 35 year old with a bad liver, do I have much of a chance? I need to know, and cannot seem to get a straight answer. Please, if you can find the time to answer, I'd really be grateful. Elizabeth

Response from Dr. Dieterich

There are transplant centers around the country that will see you. I would certainly recommend that you get on a list. Personally, at Mt Sinai in New York, we would be happy to see you. After you get evaluated for transplant, I would certainly try to get you on interferon for the HCV and make sure your HBV is being treated as well. Some of the other sites that do tranplants for HIV are San Francisco, Miami and Pittsburgh. Good luck! DTD

Another question for Dr. Dieterich
Managing Director