For Dr. Dieterich

First of all, thank you for being so helpful and supportive. I have a question. My husband is HIV positive taking Viracept and Combivir. Also, he is 10 1/2 months on treatment with peg-intron for Hep C. He is undetectable. However, he has recently developed diarrhea again and is drained. Do you possibly know what this is from? I read something on the side effects of Combivir, which he was recently put on again, and that it can be toxic to the liver. Why would his HIV doctor put him on this medication when he has Hep C? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Combivir is generally very easy on the liver, as is Viracept. The main side effect of Viracept is diarrhea so that may be what is happening now. However many people also get diarrhea from the interferon. He should make sure he sees his MD about it so that we can be sure that he did not pick up a parasite.Sounds like he is well on his way to a cure! Keep up the good work! DTD

Question about dosage
TIRED OF FEELING TIRED