A question for Dr. Dieterich

My husband is HIV positive and has Hep C. He is in 10 1/2 months on the Peg-Intron and is undetectable. However, he has anemia. Could this be caused by the peg-intron? He was taken off his HIV meds for a month because he developed neuropathy, but has been put back on. Could he have developed the anemia then? Also, can he be cured of Hep C under these circumstances. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Good question! The interferon causes very mild anemia, but the ribavirin is the real cause of most of the anemia. There is some additional anemia caused by the combo of AZT and the ribavirin too. The anemia is usually easily treatable by using Procrit which is one extra shot per week and works really well. This has been used in HIV anemia for many years and has virtually no side effects. It is very possible to cure HCV both in patients who have HIV and those who do not. Keep him going! A cure is in sight! DTD

PLEASE could you help me am I HepC positive or not?
Question about dosage