Wife tested positive.

Recenty after my wife donated blood she was informed that she had tested positive for hep c. (Last year they ini- tially tested her positive then a follow up tested negative.) The test results from her doctor last week confirmed positive. Could I have infected her somehow even though my test last week was negative? I read that in 15 % of cases the body can defeat the virus on it's own. Might I have carried it and passed it to her in the past? I am a Fireman and she is a second grade school teacher.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

If you don't have the disease then you can't have given it to her. It sounds like these are all antibody tests. Both of you need to have a quantitative PCR done with a genotype if positive. It really sounds like these may be false positive antibody tests. Good luck! DTD

Hepatitis B and Pregnant
ALTs