Hep C Genotype 1A

Hello Dr. Dieterich. My boyfriend has Hep C Genotype 1A, which I heard was the hardest to cure. He is 5 months along on his therapy and now it does not show HCV in his bloodstream. Well I know after 6 months you have to test and see if it is gone and there is a 20 chance of it coming back. Well he is 26, works out, eats very well, doesn't drink or smoke..does that give him a better than 80 chance of it not returning. Because I heard if it comes back they would not put him back on treatment--till something new came out. Well I'm sure nothing new will come out so soon to work better and we really want to have children in the next couple of years. I know the risk is low transmitted sexually but I dont even want to take that chance. So do you think he has a better chance of it going away? I know 80 is high but still I'm thinking of all possibilities. Thank you for your time!

Response from Dr. Dieterich

This sounds very promising for your husband but it also brings up an important point. Re treatment is actually a good idea if he fails in people who become undectable. The numbers are very promising in relapsers and even are there in people who don't repond the first time. I usually switch to the other peg for re treatment but that is not universal. Sounds good! thanks for asking! DTD

72 weeks better than 48???
Mucosal Membrane