Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

72 weeks better than 48???
Jun 23, 2003

Dear Dr. Dietrich: I am a a 120 lb female with subtype 2. I have been undetectable since 12 weeks and most likely before as ALTs dropped from 300 to 5 in 2 weeks. I've been having trouble with anemia dispite procrit and have been on 600 mg for most of my 30 weeks so far. Twice I was take off completely for 2 weeks (still took peg-intron. My doctor thinks it may be better to do 72 weeks since I've been on low ribavirin. This stuff is killing me. I have every side effect and have to work 2 jobs to try and pay for it. Is there any evidence that those extra 24 weeks would really help keep my response sustained?????????

Response from Dr. Dieterich

If you are indeed taking the ribavirin, you can take more procrit 60,000 units or 80,000 and make sure that you have enough iron. If you are genotype 2 then 24 weeks could be enough. I think 72 weeks for genotype 2 may be too long. Good luck! DTD

Previous
husband has hepB, can I become pregnant
Next
Hep C Genotype 1A

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.