Hepatitis B, safe sex and immunity

Hi Dr Dieterich,

I am a chronic hepatitis B carrier since childhood and my HBeAg is positive (hence indicating my infectivity is high?).

I gave a guy deep kissing and following that, a blowjob and I am just wondering what are the chances that I might infect him with Hep B? I dont know his immunisation status, whether he has previous vaccination, but assuming that he doesnt?

How does HBV infect the body - is it similar to HIV ie through specific receptors on the macrophages on the mucosal surfaces?

Just say the guy already has vaccination before - will he still need booster every five years if we have been having regular unprotected sex? I mean, since there will be an increase chance of my virus getting into his body system and hence stimulate another boost in his immunity (as of given by a booster vaccine?). Is a booster vaccine hence be necessary for him?

Thanks for answering my questions. The first one was a conscientious worry for me, but the latter two were just out of curiosity. I hope you can provide me with a closure. Thanks.:)

YC

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Hepatitis B is a sexually transmitted disease. That means oral, anal and vaginal sex. Period. For your partners's sake you need to be practicing safe sex. Now if your e antigen is positive, then you have active hepatitis B and you need treatment! Finally HBV vaccine does wear off after a while in some people and I recommend booster shots if the antibody level falls below protective level. Be safe! DTD

Boyfriend hep c pos and me neg. we want kids?
Hep virus out-of-body lifespan