Boyfriend hep c pos and me neg. we want kids?

Hello Dr. Dieterich. Well my boyfriend has hep. c..he is 4 months along therapy and responding very well..we have been together for 2 years, and I do not have hep. c, but we would like to get married and have kids in the next couple of years but i'm not sure of how we could. I do not want to have unprotected sex cause i do not wanna get this, so this mean we can't have kids, unless i get infected, right? If the therapy treatment works and it shows that it is not in this bloodstream does that mean we can have kids then and me or my baby will not be infected? Thanks alot!

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Good question! Ribavirin is a teratogen, which means it causes birth defects so you should not try to get pregnant for at least 6 months after your boyfriend stops taking the medication. If he is cured then there is no risk to you. Even if he is not, HCV is not really a sexually transmitted disease and is very rarely transmitted sexually. The CDC recommends no change in behavior if you have been having regular sex with a positive partner. Wish him luck! DTD

Extacy+Acute Hep B
Hepatitis B, safe sex and immunity