Actigall use/ Long term high bilirubin

Hello Dr Dieterich:

I am getting interesting posts in my lipodystrophy discussion group about the use of Actigall for lowering lipids and bloated stomachs. What can you say about that? A second question: What are the long term implications of having high bilirubin (not jaundiced)for a patient's health. The reason I ask this question is because of the new PI Atazanavir. Thanks! Nelson Vergel lipodystrophy-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Actigall is ursodeoxycholic acid and is a good drug for lowering bilirubin in cholestatic diseases like PBC. It also can dissolve some gallstones and can relieve itching in some patients. It does not really lower lipids or change stomachs. As for elevated bilirubins like those causeed by atazanavir, there are no long term health issues caused by that in adults. In babies, it can cause brain issues, but in adults it is not a health issue, but a cosmetic one. DTD

Herpes and HCV
What is the difference between Pegsys and Peg Intron