Questions from a former Blood Donor

Hello Dr. Dieterich, I recently recieved a letter from the American Red Cross stating that the results of a screening test for Hepatitis B on my blood showed a reaction that indicated an additional test needed to be done. The result of the second test was nonreactive. The tests performed were- (HSbAg, EIA) manufacturer #1 (HSbAg, EIA) manufacturer #2 manufacturer #1 was positive while #1 was negative. everthing else was negative as well. My first question is, what does this all mean? then, why would the same blood sample give two different test result? and, Is it possible that the Hep B vaccine caused a false-positive? I have no reason to believe I have hepatitis B because i've given blood almost a dozen times and had never had a problem up until now, and i've never done drugs, and I am still a virgin. The letter states that due to FDA regulations i'm no longer eligable for donating, is there anything that can be done?

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Sounds like a false positive to me. You should see a liver doc to be sure and they can do e antigen and HBVDNA, but it is probably a false positive lab test. Stay well! DTD

another round: Peg intron Vs. Pegasys
out of remission-treatment after interferon