another round: Peg intron Vs. Pegasys

Hello Doctor: I want to thank you so much for your lovely work. My father has stopped the Peg intron and rebetol in Feb after being on medication for a yr without getting undetectable level, however, his virus dropped to about 40k or even lower. and his enzymes are almost in the normal level but not really in the normal range. Now he stopped since feb 28. His liver functions have gone up but he will be probably be on vacation till july, is that a good time frame to stop and be on vacation (feb-july)? Now, what should he be considering? I heard pegsys has less side effects? My father, has suffered from peg intron, but his overall blood results were good when he was taking the peg intron; should he re take the same combo? he managed with it. What should he consider now? if pegsys, what should be the dosage, he is about 150pds! how about rebetol? how many pills? My father is overseas, and i need to go to his doctor with some instuctions.

Thank you so much.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Many people try the other peg after failing one. It would not be unreasonable to try Pegasys after failing Pegintron. The dose is all the same 180 micrograms per week. The dose of ribavirin would be the same as he took before which should have been five pills per day usually 3 in the AM and 2 in the PM taken with food. Wish him luck! DTD

Nanny with Hepititis B
Questions from a former Blood Donor