Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Precore Mutant Treatment
May 4, 2003

Greetings from the UAE Doctor:

I am a hbeab+ precore mutant hepatitis B patient considering my treatment options. Lamivudine or Interferon Monotherapy are the standard treatment for Hbeab+ chronic hepatitis in my country, both or which do not have good long term sustained response rates, adding Adifovir Dipoxivil evens the odds in our favour a bit, but not by much! I have been researching other treatment optins and have come across a trial of Zadaxin and Intereferon currently concluded in Turkey. Sciclone the patent holder on Zadaxin is making the following claim:

"In the study, 74 (20/27) of patients receiving 26 weeks of ZADAXIN in combination with interferon followed by 26 weeks of interferon monotherapy (a total of 52 weeks of therapy) showed a sustained response at 6 months post-treatment. 71 (19/27) of these patients showed a sustained response at 18 months post-treatment.

By comparison, 53 (8/15) of patients receiving 52 weeks of interferon in combination therapy with lamivudine followed by continuous lamivudine monotherapy showed a sustained response at 6 months post-treatment but only 20 (3/15) at 18 months post-treatment. 40 (4/10) of patients receiving 52 weeks of interferon monotherapy showed a sustained response at 6 months post-treatment but only 10 (1/10) at 18 months post-treatment"

Now if I were a betting man those are the kind of odds that I could bet the bank on. But with further research I have found out that Zadaxin is not FDA approved for Hepatitis B, even though it has been around since before 1996, although it is approved for hepatits b in many other countries, but the list of the countries does not inspire much confidence in their requlatory agencies, (China, Mexico, Argentina Etc.) Although I did see Italy in there some where.

My question for you is, Is Zadaxin as far as Hepatitis B is concerned, a snake oil that is too good to be true, or is it a drug that we sufferes of Hepatitis B can look to as offering some hope for a long term treatment option? Also if Zadaxin is a bona fida treatment option why is it not FDA Approved for Hepatitis B?

I thank you in advance for your time.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Zadaxin is a controverial medication made by a very contorversial company that has little credibility in the US. You are very astute. I would not bet a penny on this one, but you are right, the company's data looks good. I would go for adefovir plus lamivudine with or without interferon. Good luck! DTD

Previous
12-week or 24-week test for HCV RNA
Next
gender infection

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.