Precore Mutant Treatment

Greetings from the UAE Doctor:

I am a hbeab+ precore mutant hepatitis B patient considering my treatment options. Lamivudine or Interferon Monotherapy are the standard treatment for Hbeab+ chronic hepatitis in my country, both or which do not have good long term sustained response rates, adding Adifovir Dipoxivil evens the odds in our favour a bit, but not by much! I have been researching other treatment optins and have come across a trial of Zadaxin and Intereferon currently concluded in Turkey. Sciclone the patent holder on Zadaxin is making the following claim:

"In the study, 74 (20/27) of patients receiving 26 weeks of ZADAXIN in combination with interferon followed by 26 weeks of interferon monotherapy (a total of 52 weeks of therapy) showed a sustained response at 6 months post-treatment. 71 (19/27) of these patients showed a sustained response at 18 months post-treatment.

By comparison, 53 (8/15) of patients receiving 52 weeks of interferon in combination therapy with lamivudine followed by continuous lamivudine monotherapy showed a sustained response at 6 months post-treatment but only 20 (3/15) at 18 months post-treatment. 40 (4/10) of patients receiving 52 weeks of interferon monotherapy showed a sustained response at 6 months post-treatment but only 10 (1/10) at 18 months post-treatment"

Now if I were a betting man those are the kind of odds that I could bet the bank on. But with further research I have found out that Zadaxin is not FDA approved for Hepatitis B, even though it has been around since before 1996, although it is approved for hepatits b in many other countries, but the list of the countries does not inspire much confidence in their requlatory agencies, (China, Mexico, Argentina Etc.) Although I did see Italy in there some where.

My question for you is, Is Zadaxin as far as Hepatitis B is concerned, a snake oil that is too good to be true, or is it a drug that we sufferes of Hepatitis B can look to as offering some hope for a long term treatment option? Also if Zadaxin is a bona fida treatment option why is it not FDA Approved for Hepatitis B?

I thank you in advance for your time.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Zadaxin is a controverial medication made by a very contorversial company that has little credibility in the US. You are very astute. I would not bet a penny on this one, but you are right, the company's data looks good. I would go for adefovir plus lamivudine with or without interferon. Good luck! DTD

12-week or 24-week test for HCV RNA
gender infection