Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PLZ REPLY BACK
Apr 23, 2003

Go Ask Alice!: Hi..! Am a 22 year old girl from the U.S. Now I know that ..."THEOROTICALLY"....its not Necessary to have open VISIBLE cuts in the mouth for HIV to enter the blood stream since HIV can enter even through MICRO CUTS,which are INVISIBLE for naked eyes.Since the mouth is a mucous membrane and is Porous....having OPEN VISIBLE BLEEDING cuts are not necessary for the transmission to take place....Once fluids like BLOOD or semen gets into the mouth. But I wanna know that is this just a THEOROTICAL POSSIBILITY ? I mean CAN / HAS it happened uptil now in REAL LIFE ? I am aware that there are a few documented cases of ORAL SEX transmission and only ONE case of DEEP KISSING transmission case found so far.But from browsing so much on the internet and after meeting quite a few experts in my town .....I have realised that in such DOCUMENTED CASES....transmission occured because the Uninfected partners had some kind of SERIOUS GUM DISEASE....resulting in him/her HAVING OPEN "BLEEDING" WOUNDS in their mouths. That clearly proved that BECAUSE OF HAVING OPEN "BLEEDING" wounds....the transmissions took place. To prove that such MICRO CUTS ...transmission CAN ACTUALLY happen even IN REAL LIFE (And not just THEOROTICALLY ON PAPER OR JUST IN LABS)...... without having any OPEN VISIBLE wounds ....through a healthy mouth ....I think we need to find an actual documented case like that....through ORAL SEX OR DEEP KISSING. Please tell me .... As per your BEST KNOWLEDGE...do we have a documented case of transmission......through ORAL SEX OR THROUGH DEEP KISSING......Without having any OPEN VISIBLE BLEEDING cuts in his/her mouth.....and getting infected ...only because fluids like blood or semen got into their mouth....has infected them through MICRO CUTS ?

I know my question is very long and time consuming....But please let me know a DETAILED and CORRECT Answer because its a very IMPORTANT/DELICATE question running in so many people's mind. Its a personal request to please post a copy of your reply in my email id mentioned below. Thanking you and Appreciating for the wonderful work your doing for so many people like me,God bless.

Waiting anxiously for your reply, I remain,

Yours Faithfully,

MISS KISS.

EMAIL ID :- classics111@yahoo.com

PS:- PLZ TAKE UR SWEET TIME...BUT PLEASE DONT IGNORE THIS EMAIL OF MINE.I REALLY NEED TO KNOW THE RIGHT ANSWERS....I BEG YOU.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear Miss Kiss, Your long and very complicated question is a common one. HIV can be spread through mucuos membrane contact although it is very unlikely. Hepatitis C generally cannot, but hepatitis B might be, althought rarely. The only no risk contact is no contact but oral sex and deep kissing are relatively low risk behaviors. DTD

Previous
A HCV cured person or carrier?
Next
AIDS and Hep C

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.