A HCV cured person or carrier?

My cousin has been married to his wife for 16 years. His wife was diagnosed having Hepatitis C two and half years ago because of blood transfusion in 80s. My cousin has been tested anti-HCV negative for three times in the past two and half years. His doctor said that antibody in his body might not be measurable, but he might already have the disease. Questions: 1. Does he have HCV or its still too early to say? 2. One of my family members had exposure to my cousins blood accidentally. Is it possible that my cousin is fine himself (cured or a carrier), but he can give HCV to my family?

Please, please, help. I appreciate your expertise and effort.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

If his antibody test is negative then he does not have the virus. If you really want to be sure then he can be checked for the virus by PCR. The chances of transmission from a woman to a man is very low. This does not sound like a high risk exposure. Stay well! DTD

Are we at risk?
PLZ REPLY BACK