Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

A HCV cured person or carrier?
Apr 23, 2003

My cousin has been married to his wife for 16 years. His wife was diagnosed having Hepatitis C two and half years ago because of blood transfusion in 80s. My cousin has been tested anti-HCV negative for three times in the past two and half years. His doctor said that antibody in his body might not be measurable, but he might already have the disease. Questions: 1. Does he have HCV or its still too early to say? 2. One of my family members had exposure to my cousins blood accidentally. Is it possible that my cousin is fine himself (cured or a carrier), but he can give HCV to my family?

Please, please, help. I appreciate your expertise and effort.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

If his antibody test is negative then he does not have the virus. If you really want to be sure then he can be checked for the virus by PCR. The chances of transmission from a woman to a man is very low. This does not sound like a high risk exposure. Stay well! DTD

Previous
Are we at risk?
Next
PLZ REPLY BACK

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.