Are we at risk?

My father was diagnosed with Hepatitis B and cirriosis of the liver, this week. We visit them on a regular basis is there any risk to myself and my own family from contracting the virus? The doctor he is seeing thinks he might have contracted the virus from a blood tranfusion 29 years ago could this be true? Should myself and my family go and have bllod tests? Look forward to hearing back from you Mr Wayne Lennard

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Hepatitis B is really only spread through blood and sex. Your Dad is not contagious to family members. The chances are good that your kids have already had HBV vaccines. If you and your wife have not, then I would recommend it for peace of mind. It takes 3 shots over 6 months for the vaccine and all kids are getting it from their pediatrician. Good luck! DTD

Safe sex for Hep B +ve
A HCV cured person or carrier?